Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wall Of Death

Wall of Death, by Richard & Linda Thompson

I wanted to do another song that was faster and livelier. This song is from the album Shoot Out The Lights. Considering the title, it's funny that this is the most upbeat track on the album!

I can't say this song accurately pinpoints any one point in my life, because I am not that cool. But the way it describes becoming bored with every typical, mundane activity is something I think most of us can relate to. We are all somewhat drawn to what is most risky and dangerous. The narrator in this song doesn't care for anything at a carnival except the "Wall of Death", which could symbolize any risk, or even destructive behavior. I'm an extremely cautious, worrisome person, so I like that this song advocates throwing aside all your boring day-to-day activities and living on the edge. At the same time, it's kind of sad. The person in the song doesn't enjoy anything unless it's somewhat destructive. On some level, I think this speaks to all of us. Even if we live perfectly "normal" lives, we may have some small, secret hope to forget it all and just leap.

Also, the guitar playing in this song is great, especially in the live version I have on my iPod. I love the way the song is set up as someone going to a fair. This is just a really fun song I love to listen to at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment