Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Technology Changing our World

I've never been much of a technology person. I got a cell-phone in 9th grade without asking for one, often misplaced it, forgot it, lost it, and never answered it. 3 years later, I still don't know how to check my messages.

Cell phones are certainly convenient, but they also feel like a burden to me. Why should someone expect me to communicate with them at any place, at any time? I like feeling cut off from others once in awhile, able to live fully in the moment. With each innovation in communication technology, we become more closely connected to other people and places. At the same time, we become more disconnected from our immediate surroundings.

I feel that our world is starting to exist more in digital technology, and less in our physical surroundings. We learn about others lives from facebook statuses. We hear of major news events from twitter. We text friends even when people are talking right next to us. *

This all ties into the concept of multitasking, which was discussed and criticized in the documentary Digital Nation. With so many options for communicating with others and for finding new information/entertainment, we are faced with an overload of decisions to make. And often, when we can not decide what one thing to do, we try to do everything at once! When I'm on the internet, I'll often have up to ten tabs open. There is such an expansive world existing within the internet that I am tempted to take in all of it, without the work and patience needed to understand any of it. I constantly switch between tabs, forgetting what I was thinking about seconds ago.

People "switch tabs" constantly in everyday life. Text friends, do homework, talk to classmates, do other homework, surf the internet. This can all take place in minutes. We are overwhelmed by distractions, and struggle to commit to any task at hand.

Digital technology has a profound impact on our everyday life. We can learn anything, and talk to anyone, at any time. While this has great benefits, I feel that we often don't know how to handle the magnitude of it all. We linger between different ideas and different virtual worlds, unable to focus on any of them, ignoring the physical world we exist in.


----
*This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I wanted to punch all students in the documentary who spent their dinner with friends texting other people! I'm not a very social person, and it's frustrating to try and talk to someone when they are focused on something else. Some of my closest friends will spend the time we hang out on iPhones, even when we haven't seen each other in weeks!

7 comments:

  1. I completely agree with everything you said. I could never imagine leaving my life like that and it was scary to see how addicted some of the kids in the documentary were. If it gets to the point where you haven't slept or eaten in days I would assume that would be a good time to quit.
    I also agree that our world is being more and more controlled by technology even schools are becoming depended on technology. Most of our textbooks are now online, classes have iPads and our homework for philosophy is to write a blog. And there's been plenty of times when I typed in a question I had in Google even though a person who probably would have known the answer was sitting right next to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me, I could relate to the kids in the documentary in some way. I'm not constantly on my electronic devices, but I have no idea what I would do if I didn't have my laptop for a long period of time. I'm so used to using the internet to connect myself with the world around me that I totally forgot how living without the internet would be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, that was fantastic! :) I totally agree that the rate at which technology is affecting our lives is something not only frustrating, but actually a bit frightening. I really like your idea of "switching tabs" in real life. I personally have 11 tabs open on my computer at the moment, and it is quite hard for me to not jump from one to the other before i take in all that I can first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the great comments!

    Technology is definitely changing at a very rapid rate. I'm curious to see what things will be like in the next 10, 20, 30 years.

    Elaine- I'm very attached to my computer, and I actually feel the need to spend time looking at random things at least once a day, which can be a huge time-waster. But when I'm on vacation, it's surprisingly easy to adjust to life without it. Even if I'm not going anywhere, I can just read a book or write something. It's much easier for me to get stuff done when I'm disconnected from the internet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Recently, I have begun to understand the detrimental effects of an overwhelming amount of knowledge. Personally, I find it very helpful to have the definition or history behind a sudden curiosity at the tip of my fingers and thus the internet enables me to get to know things in more detail. To me, more depth than breadth is helpful. But now, with so many classes demanding my full attention, I feel spread thin; the overwhelming amount of knowledge is physically paining my mind. I think we have to reform the method of teaching in schools and utilize the availability of so much knowledge via the internet. We should cut the amount of classes and focus on certain classes in more depth.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I'm guilty of "switching tabs" in everyday life. I often get distracted when I do my homework, especially while I'm on the computer. I mean, it isn't hard to just go to another tab on the Internet while I'm writing a report, right? It's just become so natural -- not just to me, but to a lot of other people, too. Recently, on the news, I saw video of a baby who had seen an iPad for the first time, and was using it like a pro. Then, she (or he, I don't remember) was introduced to a magazine, and she tried using it like a touch screen. Obviously, that didn't work. But it's amazing to see how it seems like we're born with these kinds of skills, nowadays. Technological knowledge is becoming instinctive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maddy- Completely agreed, which is why I'm glad we at least have block scheduling. I'm struggling this year to switch between different topics while still taking everything in. The format in college seems much better to me.

    Mora- Wow, that's really interesting! Kind of like the kids in the documentary who thought they had swam with fishes in real life. Technology is definitely changing how we interact with the world around us.

    ReplyDelete