Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Buddhist Temple

This was a wonderful field trip! The temple and Reverend Kaz were not what I expected. He was very laid back and humorous.It was a lot easier to learn about Buddhism from the lecture than from the documents, although those provided a more monastic viewpoint.

I really enjoyed the meditation. Usually I have a lot of trouble focusing, but this was much easier. I think the concept of "looking for the silence" along with the slowly fading out bell sound helped. No one will be ever be able to experience total silence or completely clear their mind, so the idea of constantly working towards that point works better. I was very relaxed- almost fell asleep at one point but I stopped myself! It felt much shorter than 15 minutes, and when I walked outside I felt completely refreshed. It was honestly incredible, like a weight had been lifted off of me. So I guess I finally was able to meditate somewhat successfully.

I also liked the idea of mediating during other activities too. I think I've actually done music meditations before, just without calling it that. It's really interesting to see how different pieces of the song work together. I still want to know which Lady Gaga song the girl was listening to. What would definitely be good for me is eating meditations. I usually only eat when I am bored or distracted- and I won't notice just how much I'm eating. I tend to eat pretty inconsistently because of this. Now I'm trying to focus on having set meals, where I actually take the time to sit down and enjoy the food, as opposed to eating entire boxes of chips without realizing it. I'm already feeling a bit better because of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment